The Seifert & Short Museum is located in the Greiner House built in 1829-30. The building has served many purposes through the years: the Radical Methodist Church, Madison High School, Adath Israel Synagogue, the phone company garage, an artist’s studio, and a private home. It is an interesting structure-Greek Revival in style. At its center is a garage with a still working Macton automobile turntable. Come by and take a ride! The rooms around the garage feature cherry wood cabinetry, a spiral staircase, a two story gallery with a 24’ arched ceiling, and in-floor hydronic heating. This is a one-of-a-kind building and is a dramatic reuse of an historic structure.
In the upstairs gallery is the Christmas exhibit featuring over 800 crèches and nativities from around the world, over 800 Santa figures, and a smaller collection of snow people and Christmas trees. A twelve foot Christmas tree with over 500 ornaments representing the Seiferts and their world travels has also made it to the second floor. In the lower gallery there are over 1000 folk art and folk doll pieces from various countries. A collection of about 300 antique porcelain, bisque, and china dolls are another display along with modern dolls.
For the 2018 tour, a display of Madame Alexander dolls has been added. Stop by and see these dolls even if you have seen the museum in the past. Keep in mind that this is a work in progress and things are always being added to the displays.
Margaret Seifert-Russell and her husband the Rev. Greg Russell are pleased to share this important historic building and its collections with both long- time friends and visitors to the Madison community. At this time the museum status is pending, due to the death of Margaret Seifert-Russell.