The Federal Style home at 202 West Second Street was built by Massachusetts natives George Washington Leonard and his wife Sarah Tucker Leonard (early settlers in Madison) in 1825. The original property included the main house with French Styled galley porches, stables, a carriage house and servants quarters. The house has a entry hall, front parlor, dining room, family room, large laundry and 1 ½ bathrooms on the first floor. The second floor has three bedrooms, a study and two full baths. Over the years the stables were converted into additional house space and a garage. The carriage house and the Servant’s quarters still stand, but were sold as a residence to another owner. The current owners of the property are Thomas Stark and Edwin Ray. Unlike some of the homes in downtown Madison, the home was never divided into apartments.
This home retains many of its original features including large doors in the front parlor and dining rooms, original fireplace mantels and woodwork. The current owners have installed interior wood window shutters and new light fixtures throughout the house, as well as, new granite kitchen counters and many other additions and updates.
The home is furnished with a large collection of antiques which includes collections of crystal and silver from both Mr. Stark’s and Mr. Ray’s families dating from the 1850’s – present, as well as, their own additions to their own over the years. This collection also includes original contemporary water color paintings by James Jensen. These paintings can be found in the dining room, over the piano in the front parlor and above the landing on the front staircase. A large Oil painting by Bill Inman and an Acrylic by C.L. Cunningham hang in the master bedroom. There is a large screened in porch an English Styled Garden on the west side of the home that comes to life in early Spring.