The Backus Home is represented on the 1864 Map of Madison and also on the Sanborn List, which is used to determine the history, growth, and development of Indiana cities, towns and neighborhoods. The Backus’ have traced the deed to their home to April 8, 1884, when it was purchased by the Monroe Lodge #2, Order of Odd Fellows. The lodge trustees at that time were Thomas R. Smith, Fredrick Glass and Charles Richardson, each of their names appear in People of Madison 1859-1860. Their house is believed to be one of the first houses built in this addition, referred to as the Lanier Addition.
The style of the home is a 1860s Gable Front which was modified to Italianate in 1910. The Backus Family purchased the home in July 1987. They added 3 upstairs rooms and dormers to accommodate their family.
They purchased 2 additional lots to the west in 2009 and the gardens and building were added. The building serves as a glass shop, garage, and 50s style café the family enjoys.
The Backus family love the holidays and have decorated their home extensively with collectibles, antiques, and a village that includes several hundred pieces.
The family “shares” their home with a friendly ghost whom they affectionately refer to as “Henry.” He seems to love Christmas too!