Architectural historians consider the Francis Costigan House, at 408 West Third Street, a masterpiece of nineteenth century design. The house is situated on a narrow city lot measuring only 22 feet wide in the Historic District.
Costigan built this house in 1850 as his private residence. The brick two-story house is Greek Revival in style and has a portico with two fluted columns capped with Corinthian capitals. The portico is heavily adorned and includes a sliding pocket door entry. The interior of the house has a magnificent drawing room thirty feet long with bow end, twin fireplaces, and a ceiling with deeply depressed panels, heavily ornamented with egg-and-dart moldings.
The house also features Costigan’s characteristically fine woodwork, including curved doors and an interesting stepladder staircase with a push gate. This creative use of space reflects Costigan’s skill and ingenuity as an architect to create such an elegant house in a limited space. The Costigan House is owned and operated by Historic Madison, Inc.