This two- story brick Federal-style home was built in 1835. It is believed to be the second brick house built in Madison west of Broadway St.
Records indicate the home was formerly owned by Eudelphia Conklin, MD, a pioneer woman doctor who came to Madison shortly after the Civil War. Dr. Conklin purchased the home from Dr. Joseph Rogers for $2,650 nearly 50 years after it was originally built. She then practiced medicine from her home. In later years, she sold the home, at a reduced cost, to the Old Ladies Home Society. Elderly women resided in the home until 1907 when the society opened the Drusilla Home.
Jerry and Carol Ralston purchased their home in 1988. At that time, it was divided into 3 separate apartments. They converted it to a single family dwelling to suit their needs. The home features the original wide poplar flooring and three working fireplaces. The stairway has the original cherry banister with oak treads. You will see numerous antiques throughout the home.
The home features an in-ground pool, one of the few in downtown Madison’s historic district. It has also been previously featured on the Tri Kappa Tour of Homes in 2008 and the Madison in Bloom Garden Tour in 2003. The home sustained damage in 2008 when Madison suffered the rarity effects of Hurricane Ike.