The National Historic Landmark Shrewsbury-Windle House is an 1849 Greek Revival masterpiece designed by the renowned architect & master builder, Francis Costigan. For generations, visitors, historians, and architects have celebrated its elaborate design, high quality craftsmanship, and its incredible degree of preservation. The three story spiral staircase, sixteen foot ceilings, and intricate plasterwork provide a remarkable view of time-period opulence. Only three families ever lived in the home and their love still radiates from the walls courtesy of the award winning restoration.
Charles and Ellen Shrewsbury built the house, “the most splendid in town” to celebrate its completion in 1849 with a three day house warming party “surpassing anything of the kind” as reported in the Madison Courier. It remains an exquisite house for celebrations and provides the perfect setting for the Christmas holidays.