This “Dutch Colonial” house was built in 1920 by J. Graham Ross on property inherited from his aunt. The property was originally the formal garden for the adjacent house at 510 W Main Street which was also constructed by the Ross family in about 1840. At the time, this style of home raised many eyebrows and was actually given the Indiana “House of the Year” award in 1919. The architect was Herman Bass and the builder was Mr. White. Graham Ross was quite particular about the construction and was progressive for the time. He used the best materials available including mahogany doors, and he imported the interior paint from England. He also installed one of the first central vacuum systems in Madison of which the vacuum chamber, dirt collector, pump and motor are still present in the basement. Another feature of the home is the roofing. The current roofing is original to the home and is made of clay tiles out of Chicago by Ludowici. Ludowici is a 400 year old company which produced each of these roofing tiles through a manual process one by one.